WORKSHOP ON BASIC SKILLS IN ENGLISH
10th-12th and 17th – 19th JULY 2013
TIMETABLE PRT Workshop-English TIME TABLE
MINI LESSON PLAN FOR ACTIVITY SHEETS FOR LISTENING AND SPEAKING
You may use the sample model lesson plans given to each member of the Group for ideas for planning a Listening and Speaking Activity Sheet
INSTRUCTIONS AND GROUP TASKS GROUP TASKS
A PowerPoint Presentation on sample questions for the four Language Skills
BASIC SKILLS IN LANGUAGE LEARNING – LISTENING AND SPEAKING- THE TRAINING SESSION WAS TAKEN BY MR.U. P. BINOY PGT (ENG) FACULTY KVS ZIET MYSORE
This page hosts the work of the participants of the Workshop on Basic Skills in English. The task set for them was to frame activity sheets for listening and speaking in the lessons of their choice.
GUIDELINES FOR CREATING AN ACTIVITY RESOURCE FOR LISTENING AND SPEAKING
- Listening is the fundamental skill needed for acquiring any language. It is proved by the way infants learn to speak their mother tongue first ,local language later and adults who move to regions with the language of transaction being different from the ones they know.
- At least 50 % of average class time is required to be devoted to Aural-Oral engagement( Listening & Speaking)
- IN CLASS I up to 90% class time is to devoted for aural-oral engagement in the month of April -June, slowly bringing it down to 50-60%
I PRE-LISTENING- PLANNING AND READINESS FOR THE LISTENING AND SPEAKING ACTIVITY
- First know the theme of the lesson and the vocabulary, grammar or communication language focus.
- Select a suitable audio resource for the same ( NCERT Sakshat audio/ video for the Poems)
- Pre- teach all the vocabulary to children as part of pre-listening class room activity, listening to an audio / story video etc. Elicit the vocabulary. Use flashcards for it or play games in circle activity , write on the chalkboard in distinct, bold letters.
- now that children are familiar with all the new vocabulary
- Play the audio resource and you listen to it to plan a matching activity sheet. Keep the lesson you’re going to teach in mind and in what way this resource will help children pick up the related language skills
- Create an activity sheet which tests whether the children have listened to the key vocabulary in the audio. Fill gaps, true/ false/, sequencing, putting the puzzle together, listen and draw, listen and colour ( using colour codes) fill info in a categorized table… you can be as creative as you can be.. KEEP THE LANGUAGE OBJECTIVES IN FOCUS
II- WHILE LISTENING ACTIVITY- STRUCTURED LISTENING FOR DEVELOPING LISTENING FOR VARIOUS PURPOSES
- before you play the audio for children, discuss the activity sheet with them and make it clear as to what responses are required from them.
- Play the audio once. let the children answer in the Activity Sheet
- Play the Audio again – let students go over their answers and complete/ correct
- Take care to support the children as much as you can or through peer support. Flexibility is to be ensured till children master the skill
- Endeavour to make the whole activity one of creativity, fun and enjoyment,song and dance but with a keen ear.
III_ POST LISTENING ACTIVITY- the theme is extended through worksheet / speaking or creative writing
NOTE: AUDIOS/VIDEOS are preferred because of the music and rhythm which triggers spontaneous listening and enjoyment!!!!!
!!@@!!COLLABORATE IN YOUR SUBJECT COMMITTEES AND MOVE INTO AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!@@!!!!
Visit this link to readup http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/whatteach/wtindex.htm
The Activity sheets are being reviewed and added to the page and it may take about a week for all the resources to be uploaded:
listen and do (1) Mrs. Kamla Murti, KV CLRI Chennai Region
cl iv the little fir tree IVY 9 has two embedded powerpoints for the lesson)
Note: Download the files separately for use)
Our Helpers- Activity Sheet – Listening ( cMrs. Amutha, KV IIT Chennai has compiled this Activity Sheet for the lesson The little Fir Tree)